lundi 29 décembre 2008

European Tour: Rome - 5 days

It was just great!! 5 days in the Italian capital celebrating Xmas with my family and rediscovering the ancient city.

My mum and brother came as well from Paris so we spent Xmas all together.

Even though I was about to miss my flight because I locked myself out of the door just before going to the airport, leaving my ID card, fly ticket, etc in my appartment, the flight was ok. My cousin, Marco, and one of his friends were waiting for me at the airport. I haven't seen Marco in years!!! So it was just great spending time with him again.

DAY 1: Wednesday 24th December
My mum, brother, Marco and I left for a big walk in the city: we saw the Bocca della Verità, the Campidoglio from where we admired the Fori imperiali, then walked to the Pantheon (where it DOES rain inside!!). There Marco had to leave us to go pick up his father's Xmas present so with my mum and brother we continued
our tour to Piazza Navona, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza di Spagna and close from there visited a hotel for one of my groups which will go there soon (work's never far!).
We came back by metro and had a nice Xmas dinner next to the lovely and fairy Xmas tree my uncle, Pierangelo, had settled.
We finished the evening playing society games (I won most of the time :) ).

DAY 2: Thursday 25th December
We woke up early enough to go to the Xmas mass in a very nice basilica famous for having all the portraits of the popes on the walls.
After lunch and a couple of games, we went for a long walk on Via Appia Antica where the Romans use to walk and drive. Via Appia Antica is the last authentic street of the Roman Empire in Rome, with the original stones and the prints on it made by the chariots.
Then we left to see the Mosè from Michelangelo and finished our walk in front of the Colosseum.
Lots of pictures obviously.
DAY 3: Friday 26th December
Out with Marco, mummy and Greg to visit the Vatican and some other places.
First San Pietro basilica to admire the beauty and the majesty of the place. Pics, pics, pics :)
Then back to Piazza di Spagna to see another hotel and to take some daylight pictures, after that Piazza del Popolo and up to the "Pincio" to have the best view of Rome (all the momuments where illuminated as it was starting to be dark) and finaly, last look at the former city door before going back to the metro.

DAY 4: Saturday 27th December
We went to a huge mall called Euroma 2 where the majority of the stores are brands. In fact the prices where just too high for us. Anyway, we had a walk there and spent some time watching the shops.
In the evening, we all went to an Indian restaurant (delicious!) and straight after my mum, Greg and I got our last real Italian ice cream (even if it's winter!!!). It was huge, tasty and great! :)
To finish the evening, Marco brought me to see some of his friends. :)

DAY 5 : Sunday 28th December
Very early in the morning, my mum and my brother left for the airport. End of the winter holidays for them... already! A quick goodbye and back to bed for another couple of hours as we came back at 3am from his friends evening.
We went for a walk in Porta Portese and then back home to pack, have lunch and finaly leave as well toward the airport... feeling blue...

These 5 days were the more relaxing I have had this year and my time in Rome was just wonderful between the discoveries and the family. I really wanna go back again... But I threw a penny in Fontana di Trevi, so I will!

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

- antic city (did you really mean "antic"?)
- We left my mum, brother and Marco for a big walk in the city
- oncle
- Xmas mass